Sunday 16 July 2017

Why Size Should Never Be A Fashion

If you've read any of my previous posts you'll know I used to be a size 10/12 and am now a 12/14 post babies. From a young age I've looked up to 'fashion' and what I've found is that what size clothes you are has actually turned into a trend over the years.

I was reading about Marylin Monroe, who is one of my favourite women to have walked this planet, and it got me wondering- why was it acceptable to be chubbier back in the 40s and 50s, but as soon as the 60s hit it was all about being thinner? It also got me questioning why people found it acceptable to make clothing sizes fashionable. Why would you think it's okay to tell a young, impressionable person that they are 'too big' or 'too small'? 

I read an article the other day about how 'thigh brows' are the new 'trend'. Right, so not so long ago, it was trendy to be skinny and we had an uprise of teenagers suffering from anorexia and bullemia but now those same people are saying it is trendy to be bigger. I'm chubby, but it's not a fashion statement. I'm chubby because I have had two children, born by csection and I, quite simply, have better things to do than worry about what size jeans I fit into. There are people on the other end of the spectrum, who see that 'chubby' is now in fashion and will probably try anything to put on weight, but can't.

Why should we put this pressure onto people to look a certain way because some random person who thinks they have some sort of authority or say in what's fashionable said so? We are all built in different ways. Even before I had my children, I would never have been a size 4 and believe me, I tried which resulted in me becoming anorexic... but I still wasn't a size 4 because I wasn't built that way. 

This message is directly to columnists, writers, publishers, designers... stop making clothes size fashionable, because there is always going to be someone out there who looks up to you and what you're writing and wonders why they can't be that size, they'll take drastic measures to live up to fashions, fashions that you have created. How would you feel if you found out a teenage girl had starved herself and passed away because of an article you had written? Would you be able to sleep at night? 

Stop making it acceptable for people to dictate how we should look. Each one of us is beautiful in our own way, no matter what size we are. 

Thank you for reading!
B x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transform Her: Week 5

That’s another week done and another week of being poorly. Honestly, no idea what I’ve done wrong but I’ve been ill for like 2 weeks straigh...